Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Spring Break in Salt Lake City

Adah had a week off school, so I bravely decided to take my 3 kids on the 700-mile trip to visit my parents in Salt Lake City, Utah. I brought along one of the Young Women from church who was going to visit her dad; she acted as company for me and snack dispenser for the backseat passengers. The kids did wonderfully on the drive there and back. We only made THREE stops each way, which was a big improvement over the same attempt last August. (On the way to Utah one of those stops was overnight at a hotel in Boise; we came home in a single day, though.) We had a great time visiting Nana and Gumpin (my parents) in their condo in downtown SLC.

My mom works for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in offices next to Temple Square, so we went to visit her one afternoon to see where Nana works. We spent time with sister missionaries from Michigan and Israel (really) on Temple Square and then my dad stayed with Gunnar so the girls and I could see the new movie playing in the Joseph Smith Memorial Building. It is called Joseph Smith: The Prophet of the Restoration and was a moving portrayal of the prophet's life and the trials he and his family faced as he followed God's commandments to restore the gospel. I recommend it to anyone who can go see it.

One morning my dad and I took the kids swimming at one of the local indoor pools. This place was amazing! Check out that waterslide! Adah went down twice. My dad and I each took 4 or 5 trips--my first time on a real waterslide in at least a decade. (Maggie is at the bottom right of the photo below.)


Other highlights of our trip included shopping with my mom at the Park City outlets and multiple trips to Target (I love that store) where the girls entertained themselves with some accessories while my mom and I looked at bags:

We also visited the Utah Museum of Natural History where Maggie, Gunnar, and Nana helped uncover some dinosaur fossils!
I also got to catch up with some of my Centerville friends--one of whom I hadn't seen for 10 years!--watched lots of NCAA basketball with my parents, and very much enjoyed letting them do all the cooking and dishes. Thanks for a fun trip, Mom/Nana & Dad/Gumpin! Posted by Picasa

No comments: