Monday, January 18, 2010

95% Chance of Baby Girl

100% chance of baby

I think that most of my readers (3 or 4 of you?) already know about baby number four's expected arrival at the end of May. Perhaps you have not yet heard that now we're expecting a girl!

I had an ultrasound on January 6 that gave us the good news that baby is alone in there, growing at just the right rate, and has all the correct body parts looking as they should. Damon and the kids joined us in the tiny (and warm) room, but after pestering the doctor too much, they (the kids) had to be removed. Adah was very interested in knowing what every little image was, while Maggie was just confused. (Aren't we all, when we look at those things?)

The doctor tried for a long time to get a good shot of the baby's face to print for me. The circle at the top right is the head, with the two little circles below (and to the side) being the hands. That was the best he could do. I told him not to worry about it too much. I don't have ultrasound images of any of the other kids, so I knew I wouldn't feel a great sense of loss if I didn't have one of this baby either. With Adah, they forgot to print any for us. Maggie's got left at the hospital in Bedford when I went in with false labor (and never returned, since she was born at home). I had an image of Gunnar, but it was only of his private parts confirming he was a boy, and I figured we didn't really need to preserve that in the baby book. (I don't know why that's the only image the doctor printed for me.)

After looking for a long time, the doctor gave us a 95% confident prediction that the baby will be a girl. Of course, that 5% has left me a little anxious about totally throwing out the blue in favor of pink at our house, but we think the odds are in her favor, so that's what we're planning for.

3 comments:

Andrew Bosley said...

CONGRATULATIONS! We're just the opposite--boy, boy, girl, boy. What fun for you! Hope you're feeling good!!!
maren

gumpin said...

Circles? What circles?

Marian said...

I'm with Gumpin!