Adah was delighted to hold her newest little sister. She has been excited by and interested in nearly every aspect of Holly's arrival, asking lots of questions while I was pregnant. Now that we're home, Adah is very attentive and wants to hold Holly whenever she can. Damon and I are both surprised at how well she holds her, and I'm grateful that I can rely on Adah for help when I need it.
Maggie is also thrilled to be a new big sister. She is most delighted that she now has a little brother and a little sister, just like Adah did. Maggie doesn't remember when Gunnar was born, so it has been fun to help her build memories of a newborn baby. At 5 she should be able to always remember welcoming Holly into our family. Like Adah, Maggie wants to hold Holly whenever she can. I have been very impressed by Maggie's composure when she's got a screaming baby on her lap and a mother who's trying to just get one more thing done before she comes to rescue her.
Gunnar has, gratefully, remained largely indifferent to Holly's presence in our home. He came into the hospital room saying, "Baby sister. Oh, cute," and took his turn holding her (for about 5 seconds). When we brought her home from the hospital the next day, Damon walked in the house and said, "Gunnar, do you want to come see Holly?" "No, I watching Bob the Builder." It's probably all for the best that our rough-and-tumble little boy doesn't have much interest in his baby sister. We actually expected a lot of jealousy, but he doesn't seem to mind her one bit.
Nana and Gumpin (my mom and dad) came to help with the children while Damon and I were at the hospital and once we were all home. This is the first time that my parents were able to come visit me in the hospital when I had a new baby. With the other children--save Maggie, who never went to the hospital--my mom came to help after I was home.
2 comments:
Great pictures! In that photo with Gunnar, your mom looks so much like you. (Which actually means you look like your mom.) Funny, because it's not immediately evident unless you're just looking at foreheads and eyelids. :)
I'm so glad the kids are being helpful. I know it makes things much easier on you.
It was a joy to be part of all of this. We love your family and we so happy we could come to help. Nice that you wanted us!
ILY, Nana
Post a Comment