Tuesday, July 6, 2010

4th of July

Being on the Sabbath this year, our Independence Day celebrations were more mellow than usual. No pancake breakfasts. No parades. (We barbecued the next day.) We attended church, as usual, and were able to sing songs of gratitude as we worshiped in freedom. Having read John Adams and 1776 this year, I was particularly mindful of all that transpired, especially those events I believe were influenced by of our Heavenly Father, to bring our nation into existence.

We still enjoyed our own patriotic concert--performed on the new "Front Porch Stage" by Maggie on hand drum, Diane (our neighbor) on fiddle, and Adah on African finger harp.

We then had some fun with sparklers . . .

. . . and a few of our own fireworks. Gunnar was pretty excited. Look at his feet. He's actually jumping in this picture and you can see him getting just a little air.

Also notice that Damon is wearing long pants and a fleece. It was FREEZING. As we drove to a barbecue the next day, I said, "I hope I don't regret wearing shorts." pause "That is not something I should be considering on July 5." We had a slow start to summer this year. It didn't stop us from having fun. We just had to wear layers.

3 comments:

Marisa said...

Oooh...you set off fireworks in town. Scandalous!

Unknown said...

It's fun seeing these photos now, because I can actually understand where things are happening at your house and yard. It was fun to visit and will be nice to see more pictures.

Jillaire said...

I'm pretty sure the fireworks were all legal. None of them got airborne. Plus, we both think we remember a cop driving by during our celebrations and he didn't say anything.