The camp was on the shores of a small lake where we could swim and canoe. It was a gorgeous setting. Here's the view from the hill just a few yards away from our campsite.
The theme for our Girls Camp this year was "Light of the World: Unity, Belief, Example." Each cabin (tent, really) took a country as its own theme. Mine was the United Kingdom, of course. My fellow cabin mom, Kathy, and I decorated our campsite with a Union Jack and some iconic British images.Our tent became the Zarahemla stop on the London Underground or "Tube" (London's subway system). The tents were quite nice, since they were set up on wooden platforms--no sleeping on top of rocks or tree roots--and you could stand up in them. However, the canvas "walls" were not attached to the platforms at the bottom. This created gaps where the very brave camp chipmunks could enter the tent. Those little guys were seriously bold, illiciting cameos in the camps skits as "Killer Ninja Chipmunks" and as targets for Harry Potter's spells. We had to keep all food out of the tents since the chipmunks would chew through bags to get at campers' unguarded snacks. Some people even had chipmunks jump onto picnic tables and grab cookies right from under their noses!
Here's Kathy with the phone box that she painted for our campsite:
We also created a list of American & British English equivalents so that our girls could see that we don't totally speak the same language as our cousins across the pond.
We had a fun week eating international dishes cooked in the lodge by our camp chef, creating skits (I got to play Queen Elizabeth as we saw "what would happen if the UK visited Camp Zarahemla), canoeing, playing games, and certifying survival skills amidst a mock pandemic (we told the girls that swine flu had mutated while we were at camp and we had to stay there until the quarantine was lifted; their nervous faces made the camp director reveal the mock part of the dramatization right away).
There were also many spiritual classes and evening firesides that taught the young women campers and us leaders more about being "examples of the believers." (The 2009 theme for the Church's Young Men and Young Women is 1 Timothy 4:12 "Be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.")
We stayed up too late and got up too early and were very ready to go home Saturday morning. Unfortunately, the car that came up from White Salmon to take home some of the young women BROKE DOWN. A bolt had fallen out of the brakes. Fortunately the camp caretaker had a large set of socket wrenches, one of the men who had come up to camp knew how to fix cars, and we were able to have another driver stop and buy a new bolt.

Kathy and I caravanned home with the fixed car and finally made it home around 5:00 Saturday evening. What a week!




1 comment:
Answer to your bike question: I used a spray primer paint and then a 'regular' spray paint for the pink. Make sure it says outdoor and metal and prevents rust on it. Then I took everything off that I could (wheels, seat, chain gaurd) and covered with plastic and painters tape what I couldn't. Then I peeled off all of the old stickers, lightly sanded everything...especially where there was already some rust, I sanded that until I couldn't see rust anymore. Then I wiped everything down with a damp cloth until there was no dust/dirt anywhere. We layed out plastic on the driveway and we did 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of the color. When everything was dry we took the tape and plastic off and put it back together. Oh as a side note we couldn't get the chain off so I wrapped it in plastic wrap to keep it from scratching the new paint and to protect it. Then we greased it really good becuase it did end up getting a little paint on it. But it works great now :) Just make sure when you put the chain and back tire on that the chain is nice and tight or else the chain will fall off when you move the pedals. Good luck!!
Post a Comment