Friday, July 23, 2010

Wangsgard Reunion--Part 8: Other Fun

Here are a few more fun things (and photos) from the week:

On Saturday afternoon after everyone had arrived and eaten something, we walked down the hill to "downtown" White Salmon for a small local fair. Our neighbor was playing the fiddle in her old time band and we went to hear her play, see some local vendors, and get balloon animals. (Joette, aka Cotton Candy, had fun talking shop with our local balloon artist.)


We spent a lot of time just hanging out in the front yard, thanks to that great front porch and such a shady lawn.

All the Wangsgard men relaxing on the front porch,
(l. to r. Jed, Dad, Logan, & Peter)
Mom & Joette, holding Holly, chatting on the bench in the shade.

Anya and Kiera tickling the ivories.

Before moving over to the neighbors' house for the rest of the week, Pete (my oldest brother) spent one night in our family room. His nieces and nephews just loved waking him up Sunday morning. Attack! Notice Adah on the couch to the right--just her arms and legs--about to catapult something at Peter. Soren is tossing a pillow at him. We're not sure if Gunnar is coming or going. Maggie is on top of Peter.

It's too bad that there are no photos of mealtimes, but it shouldn't surprise me since it could get pretty hectic getting all 17 of us seated and fed. We ate lots of excellent food during the week. Each household took a turn making dinner for the rest of us. Even Adah made dinner one night (with Aunt Joette's help). It was her speciality--pancakes. Katie made us some really fabulous cupcakes, her speciality. Here she is with the coconut banana cream cupcakes (that's actually whipped coconut milk on top instead of whipped cream) and some of the most chocolatey cupcakes I've ever had. She is generous with her frosting. Yum-mo!

One un-fun part of the reunion was when almost all of the kids got sick! It started on Thursday morning when Christian had a fever. We had already planned on having a lazy day since everyone was tired out from full days and late nights, so Christian was able to relax on the couch. He did miss out on afternoon golfing. All the Wangsgard men took Adah & Maggie to a small local golf course. No photos of that, though.
Friday morning Christian was fever-free and we were getting ready to go to a mountain lake for a picnic and canoeing when my almost-4-year-old niece Anya had a febrile seizure. She is prone to them, but it was pretty unexpected since no one had yet realized that she also had come down with a fever. A visit from the paramedics and ride in an ambulance derailed our plans. Jed & Joette went to the ER with Anya while the rest of us stayed behind. By this time Kiera was also displaying signs of fever, while Christian was feeling much better...except for being worried about his sister. We let him choose the activities for the rest of the day. He voted for kite flying and swimming. Peter, Damon, and I took the 3 big kids kite flying by the river while Katie stayed behind for Kiera and Soren to nap and Logan and the folks went to Hood River for some errands and tour of the Tofurky HQ. (Gunnar was supposed to be kite flying, too, but ended up napping in the car.)

Anya returned from the hospital that afternoon and slept for most of the rest of the day. She was feeling much better by the next day, as was Kiera. Soren's fever started Friday night. Maggie and Gunnar were hit on Sunday. I don't think we'd ever gone through so much children's Tylenol so fast! Adah and Holly and all the adults escaped the week with no fevers. It was kind of a bummer way to end our week, but overall I think we all remember the fun over the fevers.

Gunnar and Anya both sleeping on the family room floor.

I'm really grateful to all my family members for making the effort to come to White Salmon for our reunion. I, of course, know what a challenge it can be to travel with little kids. I also appreciate the financial sacrifice it took for most of the family to fly across all or most of the country to get here. I think it was worth it and I hope everyone agrees...and is ready to try a new destination in 2012!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I definitely remember the fun over the fever. I sort of went, 'oh yeah' when you got to that part.

It was a lot of fun, and can't wait for Cambridge 2012!

Marian said...

Fun over fever for me too. But it is always all about the story good or bad! I love you all and I excited for 2012!