Here's Adah grinning at the "concessions stand" that we set up before everyone arrived. Please notice the movie-theater candy. I thought it was just perfect that I was able to find all those boxed candies--not that my kids know anything about buying candy at the movie theater; I had to promise Adah that Red Vines and boxed candy are true theater fare.
Adah wanted everyone to "buy" their concessions with tickets. Thanks go to my mom for cutting out hundreds of little tickets so the party-goers could peruse the menu and plop their tickets into Damon's collection bucket. We only wish we'd been smart enough to design the tickets without Adah's name & age on them so that they could be used for other parties! Live and learn. Below are all the girls moving through the concession stand. We also had pizza, which was still in the oven at this point. Notice I did have apples and carrots to balance out the other treats. As I was explaining to the girls how it all worked, one friend raised her hand and asked, "Can we get more than one carrot with each ticket?" I'm sure her mother would have been proud.
After Tinkerbell and the Great Fairy Rescue, 2 drinks spilled in the "theater" (by my own kids), and opening of presents, it was time for cake!
The cake. Oh, the cake. This cake nearly got a post all its own.
Adah requested a rainbow cake, as made by my friend for her daughter's birthday party. You really should click on the link and look at my friend's cake. It is gorgeous. Who wouldn't want that cake?
Well, mine didn't turn out quite so well.

I'm great at layer cakes. I make them all the time. I never have trouble getting the cakes out of the pans. Well....not this time. Red and yellow were complete disasters. If you looked closely at the photo of my cake, you noticed there is no red layer. Yellow created so much havoc that orange was barely hanging on, making red's omission a foregone conclusion. To make up for it, we opted to have red frosting on the outside of the cake. I never was going to go for my friend's gorgeous fondant and flower exterior frosting (no need to go overboard, right?) but red wasn't in the original plan.
Neither was having orange and yellow completely slide off the top! (Fortunately, everyone had already been served.
And, after all that, I thought the whole thing tasted like cardboard. It's made with a white cake, for obvious reasons. I don't think I'd ever bought a white cake mix in my life. I mean, if you're going to eat cake, have chocolate! Or at least one with some flavor.Still, the birthday girl didn't seem to mind. And that's what really matters, right?

Maggie enjoyed hers, too.
Happy Birthday, Adah. I can't wait to see what kind of cake you want next year. Sorry, no rainbows.




2 comments:
1. Did the candy come in that red box? If not, I'm very impressed that you found something to fit them perfectly.
2. What about buying a roll of raffle-type tickets for such events? They have them at Hi-School.
3. I feel responsible for your cake disaster. Did you trim the layers to make them even? 6 layers really can't handle much curvature. And definitely more frosting in between layers...for next time. :)
1. The "box" is a tray that I own. I guess it was impressive.
2. NOW you tell me. I actually saw them at the Dollar Store a couple days after the party.
3. It was my fault for not greasing the pans enough, I'm sure. I'm usually quite good at layer cakes. You're just responsible for me making WAY TOO MUCH frosting. Your gain, though, right?
Post a Comment