Sunday, December 12, 2010

Twelve Days of Christmas in the Sciptures

Every year on Christmas morning before opening any gifts, my family reads the Biblical story of the Nativity in Luke chapter 2. Many years ago, on Christmas Eve I began to read in 3 Nephi in The Book of Mormon about the events on the night of Christ's birth. Several years ago I decided to go back even further and for each of the 12 days leading up to Christmas I found scriptural references relating to Christmas--not only the events that happened, but prophecies and teachings about why they needed to happen.

Reading these scriptures has become one of my Christmas traditions. I shared this list with my family a few years ago, and this year I want to share it with all of you. I've included links so you can go directly to the scriptural reference via the website for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or print the list and tuck it into your own scriptures. If you don't have a Book of Mormon, you can get a free copy here.

Merry Christmas

Read each reference in the days leading up to Christmas.

December 14 Moses 6:57-62--Plan of salvation revealed to Adam: why the Lord must come.

December 15 Moses 7:42-47--Enoch asks when the Lord will come.

December 16 Isaiah 9:6--"Unto us a son is given."

December 17 1 Nephi 10:4-6--Lehi's prophecy: 600 years until the birth of Christ

December 18 Isaiah 7:14 & Matthew 1:23--A virgin shall conceive.

December 19 Alma 7:10--Jesus shall be born of Mary.

December 20 Luke 1:26-38--Gabriel visits Mary.

December 21 Luke 1:46-55--Mary rejoices.

December 22 Matthew 1:18-25--Account of Jesus' birth

December 23 Helaman 14:1-8--Prophecy of Samuel the Lamanite

December 24 3 Nephi 1:4-21--Sign is given on the night of Christ's birth

December 25 Luke 2:1-20--Christ is born in Bethlehem

1 comment:

Andrew Bosley said...

Great idea Jillaire! I think we'll have to add it to our morning scripture study before Christmas!
maren