Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Christmas Goodies

Growing up, every year my Aunt Donna gave our family sugar cookies. Now, we were always a chocolate family, but all of us loved her sugar cookies. They are good. Since marrying and living away from home, I've not wanted to let my holidays pass without some of Aunt Donna's sugar cookies, so I make them myself.

This year I didn't do much holiday baking at all, but I did make time for the sugar cookies. Decorating them is always a family affair.



I forgot, though, that the kids usually lose interest after decorating (and eating) only 2-3 cookies. Since the recipe makes 4-6 dozen (depending on the size) it leaves a lot of decorating for the parents. We don't eat them all, though. No way we could have. We give them out to neighbors and friends.

On the flip side, this year we seriously CLEANED UP when it came to receiving Christmas goodies. They just kept coming and coming. We got treats from people who have never given them to us before. New friends who've moved in since last Christmas brought us treats. And each gift had multiple kinds of treats. Whew! We love treats. Don't get me wrong. But we just couldn't keep up! We had to actually put several dozen (yes, that's how many) cookies in the freezer.

The plate below actually shows the DREGS of this platter's former self. Oh, and do you see the other plate in the background. This probably represented merely 1/4 of what we received.


To reiterate: we love treats. Do not take any of the above as complaining. It is merely commenting. Keep 'em coming, friends!!

1 comment:

Marisa said...

Those sugar cookies were awesome. I made gingerbread cutouts for the second year in a row, but wasn't eating any because I was just OVER gingerbread. What I really wanted was a good sugar cookie with lots of frosting, but I wasn't about to bake again. Then your darling daughters knocked at my door and handed me some glorious sugar cookies and adorable candy cane reindeer. It completely made my day. The end.

Thank you! And thank you, Aunt Donna. :)