Wednesday, February 16, 2011

More Important Than Things

About two-and-a-half weeks ago an old high school friend of mine lost her 20-month-old son to what appears to be SIDS. All I know is that he died in his sleep.

I have watched this story since unfold on Facebook. On the very day it happened my friend posted it. While I don't think I'd be thinking much about Facebook at such a time or be really ready to share it with the world, I'm so glad that she is. Everyday she posts something about her grief and heartache, but it is always grounded in her faith and testimony of a loving Heavenly Father and of eternal families and the hope of the Resurrection. It really amazes and touches me.

Just yesterday she said that her daughter (age 8 or 6; she has 3 children the same ages and genders as my oldest 3) lost her coat for the third time this winter. As she was explaining to her daughter that they would not be buying her a fourth coat, she reminded herself that people are more important than things.

At the time I read it, I just thought, "Yes, that's a good thing to remember." I suppose I just looked on it as one of those oft-repeated adages that, while true, didn't really move me as some of her other heartbroken, yet hopeful observations.

Later in the day, though, I remembered it and really put it into practice in a way that made my home a happier place.

Last October I purchased some size 10 (kids) orange-and-black striped pajamas at the Salvation Army. I tucked them away in my costume box figuring they would make a great Halloween tiger costume for some 10-year-old eventually. Well, on Saturday 3-year-old Gunnar discovered them. They are way too big on him. I have to roll up the sleeves and pant cuffs, and we tie a shoelace around his waist to keep the pants from falling down. He's worn them almost non-stop since Saturday afternoon. (He will get dressed to leave the house, but he did sleep in them Sunday night.)

Gunnar loves orange. He loves tigers. So, of course he loves crawling around in these giant pajamas and growling. Yesterday afternoon I thought, "I've got to put a stop to this or he'll totally wear out the knees before anyone can really wear these."

Then I remembered my friend. "People are more important than things."

I decided to let Gunnar wear that "tiger costume." He loves it. It makes him happy. And who knows whether or not any of the kids will even care about tigers when they're ten.

This is a tiny thing really, but at least a little bit of peace and happiness in our home thanks to little BW and his amazing mother.

1 comment:

Marisa said...

A good lesson for all of us. I need more practice with this. Thanks for sharing!