Monday, February 28, 2011

Donkey Basketball

Never heard of donkey basketball? It is a singular athletic exhibition available as a fundraiser at our local high school. The boosters get some local citizens (often employees of the school, bank, grocery store, and other recognizable faces) to ride donkeys while trying to get the ball through the hoop. Or, to get the ball through the hoop while trying to ride donkeys. The latter is probably more difficult.
I stayed home with a sick baby this year while Damon took the older kids, but we all went 2 years ago, so I've seen it before. It is hysterical.
Basically, there are 2 teams of 4 (I think) plyaers each. One player on each team stays in the center circle of the court without a donkey, and they can help move the ball along. The posturing that goes on just between those two players is comic enough without the farm animals.

The other three players have donkeys and can only shoot the ball while on the donkey. If you miss a pass, you are allowed to jump off, but you have to pull the halter and bring your donkey with you to retrieve the ball. It's not as easy as it sounds. Donkeys really do live up to their stubborn reputations, even on the basketball court. I remember a few fast breaks where no defense was needed; the offensive donkey just stopped short for no reason!

The whole enterprise is completely amusing. I hope they come again so I can watch another time.

The MVPs after the game

No comments: