We're trying something new at our dinner table starting tonight. This afternoon I presented each of the three older kids with their own Adventure Eater Rewards Cards.
It's pretty self-explanatory. When the kids try a new food (or one for which they've previously declared distaste), they get to write it down. If they decide they like it, the food gets a star. Whether they like them or not, once they've tasted 10 new foods, and their Rewards Card is complete, they get to choose what's for dinner! The measure of a "true try" goes up one bite with each child by age, meaning Adah has to take four bites and Maggie three.
I read about this idea in Family Fun today. They called it a picky eaters reward card. I decided that I didn't want to brand my kids as "picky," but rather engender in them the idea that trying new things, especially new cuisine, is an adventure! I always say that I'll try anything once. (And I proved it two weeks ago when I tried my first aspic. If you saw Julie & Julia or are familiar with French cooking, you should know what this is. This sample was a gelled ring of tomato juice something with noodles in it. It was cold and slimy, and my first try was my last. I think I deserve an adventure reward for that.)
Tonight for dinner? Quick and Easy Pancit: It's essentially a stir fry with rice noodles, cabbage and chicken (and probably a couple extra veggies) flavored primarily by ginger, lemon juice, and soy sauce. We've had it before with varying success on the kids' plates. Tonight I'm hoping they'll all dive in with a taste for adventure (pun intended).
I read about this idea in Family Fun today. They called it a picky eaters reward card. I decided that I didn't want to brand my kids as "picky," but rather engender in them the idea that trying new things, especially new cuisine, is an adventure! I always say that I'll try anything once. (And I proved it two weeks ago when I tried my first aspic. If you saw Julie & Julia or are familiar with French cooking, you should know what this is. This sample was a gelled ring of tomato juice something with noodles in it. It was cold and slimy, and my first try was my last. I think I deserve an adventure reward for that.)
Tonight for dinner? Quick and Easy Pancit: It's essentially a stir fry with rice noodles, cabbage and chicken (and probably a couple extra veggies) flavored primarily by ginger, lemon juice, and soy sauce. We've had it before with varying success on the kids' plates. Tonight I'm hoping they'll all dive in with a taste for adventure (pun intended).

4 comments:
I think this is a great idea! First to try on Gunnar's list—navel oranges. :)
Aspic? Gross.
Ooooooh!! I LOVE this idea, especially calling it an adventure card and not picky eater card. Guess what I will be printing off tonight. ;-)
He's eaten navel oranges before! How did you cut/prepare them?
What an awesome idea. Thank you for sharing Jillaire.
Post a Comment