Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Knock-Knock

Yesterday, Holly, who regularly hears her older siblings tell jokes around the dinner table, told her first complete knock-knock joke.
 
Holly: Mama, knock-knock.
Me: Who's there?
Holly: Oh-anj.
Me: Orange who?
Holly: Kiss?
Then she waited for a kiss.
Holly's been doing the "knock-knock" part for a couple of weeks, and the day before yesterday she had progressed to the "orange." I thought that was pretty smart of her to remember that "orange" is a typical knock-knock joke opener. However, when she just stopped at "oh-anj," I continued, "Orange you [aren't you] going to give me a kiss?"  So yesterday, she remembered the whole thing and did it herself.
Love it.  And it means I get one of her cute 2-year-old kisses, which are always sweet and rarely slobbery.
 
P.S. At bedtime lately Holly wants me to give her a kiss on the lips, something I tend to avoid with kiddos. She's heard me say "gross!" enough times after being forced to kiss her siblings on the lips that after she does the same to me, her automatic and immediate statement is "gose!" (Think "gross" without the R.)

1 comment: