Sunday, June 23, 2013

Coast Camping Trip: Campground Fun

We went camping for a few days during the girls' spring break back in April. Plaskett Creek Campground was a grassy, relatively quiet spot along the scenic coastal Highway 1, about 55 miles south of Monterey.


This is the only photo I got that really shows our whole campsite, with the table, fire pit, and tent. I have no idea what everyone is looking at. Probably someone else's really big fire.

We did pretty well with our fires, especially considering we brought no firewood with us and the bundles available for purchase from the campground hosts were pretty meager. We did a bit of collecting (is that legal?) and managed to have enough fire to cook hot dogs and marshmallows and warm us in the morning.

Anticipating this most exciting part of camping, Maggie drew us up some directions before we left home. (Note: Step 1 says, "Get tiny sticks..."
 Voila! Here's what we got:
Success, I say.
The coals were great for marshmallows, even on our pretty pitiful homemade sticks since we forgot (couldn't find?) our roasting sticks in the garage.
We want s'more of this fun family time!
These gigantic trees were all through the campground, providing shade that wasn't too necessary in the cool of April. However, they were fun for climbing. Can you see Gunnar's face peeking out of the tree below?

Here's his hand:

There he is!

The grass was also great for kickball, a large tree making home plate, and playing catch. I found a sunny spot where I could lounge against a large rock and read. But we didn't spend all of our time at the campsite. . . next post!

No comments: