Sunday, February 15, 2015

My Favorite Christmas Tradition

Note: This post is about the Christmas tree two Christmases ago. We're talkin' 2013, folks. Yes, I'm that far behind on this blog.

I love buying and decorating the family Christmas tree. I have fond memories of scouring Christmas tree lots with my brothers looking for just the right tree--one that had well-spaced branches for hanging ornaments and plenty of room for "loot" underneath. As an adult, it's remained a favorite. During our years in White Salmon, we visited a charming U-cut Christmas tree farm that was such a perfect Norman Rockwell experience.

Now, we live in Silicon Valley. Capitol of the tech industry. 300 days of sunshine. No Christmas tree farms---at least none with campfires, log cabins, and $20 trees. We have driven by some farms south of San Jose and have heard you can get a permit to trudge into the mountains to cut down your own, but we haven't quite been able to figure that out and make that commitment yet. Nope. We went to OSH:
This is the hardware store just about a mile away, in a shopping center with a grocery store, two Indian restaurants, and a Starbucks. While not quite as quaint, the family council over the right tree is still just as important and yields the same result: the biggest Christmas decoration in the house--and one in which the whole family is invested. I love it.


I don't just love picking the tree. I love decorating it. That's because every ornament on our tree comes with a story. After several years of beating back the kids and trying to divvy out the ornaments into their person-specific piles while sequestering the kids in another room, we finally figured out a way to organize the ornaments pre-hanging. 

Everyone gathers round me on the floor near the tree. I carefully unpack each ornament and say whose it is and where we got it. Then that person gets to put the ornament in their own small area, be it a couch cushion or the lid to a box. Some of the ornaments are family ornaments and once all the others are distributed, we take turns choosing one ornament at a time to go in our pile. When all the ornaments are assigned, then we go for it: everyone just starts hanging them up.

Here Maggie hangs up a fairy ornament that was given to her at birth by, Vaishali, one of Damon's classmates at Cranfield University in England. Our ostrich Beanie Baby is to remind us of our time in Chandler, AZ, which celebrates its history as a center of ostrich ranching by holding an Ostrich Festival every year (or at least it did when we lived there). The stocking on the right is one of 6 (or more?) that hung on my family's tree every year growing up. They all had different designs, and when my brothers and I moved out of the house, my mom gave one to each of us.


It's been 2 months since we decorated our last Christmas tree and 14 months since these photos were taken, but I still feel all warm and fuzzy inside just thinking about the happy feelings I have when choosing and decorating the tree with my family and all the fond memories of people, vacations, and Christmases past that are represented by our ornaments. The Christmas tree really is my favorite Christmas tradition.

No comments: