Have you ever googled yourself? Having a name like "Jillaire" means that the results are pretty limited for me, and I'm always intrigued to find others who share my name (like Jillaire Jackson the high school track star), since I've never actually met another Jillaire in person.
Well, this morning I actually accidentally googled myself by incompletely typing in my blog address. What came up--other than Jillaire Jackson--was very surreal. I found a blog post written by someone I worked with about 8 years ago. He was interning at the Massachusetts State Archives when I was working there in the Commonwealth Museum. We had a lot of religious discussions in the office we shared. He even came to church with Damon and me one Sunday and had a missionary lesson in our apartment.
It took a bit of reading for me to confirm the identity of the blogger since he didn't use his real name as the author, but I was very certain that I was indeed the "Jillaire" he was talking about due to some of the details he shared (like this Jillaire had a masters degree from Boston College and was married to a convert to Mormonism who had graduated from MIT--hard to mistake that). The blog post was about his spiritual life and his conversion from atheist to agnostic to Catholic.
Other than having him categorize The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as a "non-Trinitarian cult-like pseudo-Christian church," I was actually very pleased with the way I was represented. I had shared my beliefs and how I lived them. He seemed impressed by that and respected it. I was glad that he didn't have anything to report of which I should be ashamed. I hope that I will always be a good representative of my Lord and my faith.
If you're not familiar with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, it is a Christian church. We believe that Jesus Christ is our Savior and we worship Him and remember Him in our weekly church services and in our everyday lives. If you define "cult-like" as friendly and welcoming, I suppose my blogging friend was right, but by most definitions of the word, he was completely wrong. If you'd like to learn more about the LDS Church, go to http://www.mormon.org/ or feel free to ask me any questions. If you're reading this, you should have my email address. Otherwise, just post a comment.
No comments:
Post a Comment