Do you see those leaves? They're like 3 times the size of Gunnar's head! That's rhubarb. It's pretty awesome-looking, I think. Before I moved to White Salmon I didn't think I liked rhubarb. I'd tasted it once (as a teenager?) in a strawberry rhubarb pie and I thought it was tart and didn't like it. I gave it another shot a couple years ago and then neighbors (different ones, yet again) gave us a plant. Now I make crisps, cakes, pies, jam, and even savory sauces out of it. If you think you don't like it, I recommend giving it another shot. Just add a little more sugar.
Now, check out these zucchini plants. Zucchini has a reputation for producing like crazy, but these are the healthiest-looking plants we've ever grown. There are three of them there and they are tall and strong. They mean business.
Finally, a panoramic view of our whole garden. The left bed has lettuce (gone to seed in this shot), kale, rhubarb, and tomatoes. We grew peas on the fence behind the tomatoes. The next bed is home to the zucchini, corn, basil, and a small cucumber vine. The next one has 3 blueberry bushes (one that didn't produce berries this year) and some very robust butternut squash vines. Seriously, we have some giant squash out there. The final bed, at the far right, is our raspberry patch. LOVE those berries.



1 comment:
I'm so impressed with your garden! It makes me want to rip out some grass and expand ours.
I'd love some of your rhubarb recipes. Travis wants us to grow rhubarb, but I only know how to make pies and crisps. I'd love to try a rhubarb cake! And I would definitely need some less sugary recipes if I were to grow a bunch... :)
Post a Comment