Thursday, October 20, 2011

Family Summer Vacation, Part 4: The Talent Show

Damon's brother Justin is the family ham.  He's also a great uncle.  Put them together, and what do you get? A talent show with his nieces and nephew.  (Forgive the photo quality.  I didn't take these.  The photographer knows who she is.  This is the best we got, but I didn't want to forget this great family memory.)

Justin was the emcee of the program, which began with a choreographed entrance to an ABBA song down the stairs from the loft where Justin slept and rehearsed with his "company."  Justin's microphone was the knob off the brass bed upstairs.

Cassie sang that beloved farmer-and-his-dog song, Bingo.
Gunnar sang "Old MacDonald had a Farm."

 
Adah and Maggie did "Dancing Queen," but I don't have a photo of their performance.
The highlight for most of us was when Mr. Cougar started talking.  As I mentioned earlier, this rental house was basically a rather masculine fishing lodge.  It had pretty eclectic decor that included a cougar rug and two deer heads.  The deer on the left was actually a fake one that sang country western songs after making bad puns related to the song titles.  The kids loved it.  Anyway, back to the cougar.  At some point, Justin snuck upstairs and began making the cougar's mouth move.  I can't remember if he sang his own song or had some more ABBA playing, but there was some serious entertainment going on as he even "danced" up and down the banister.  We were all practically in tears.

 
For me, this was a real highlight of our trip.  I loved seeing the little cousins display their favorite songs. Kudos to Justin for corralling the kids for multiple rehearsals and directing the whole affair.

No comments: