Friday, January 20, 2012

Christmas Eve Cookies

If you know me well, you know that all my favorite desserts contain chocolate.  Still, once or twice a year I have to make my Aunt Donna's sugar cookies.  They are THE best sugar cookies, and every year my mom returned from her sibling (adult only) Christmas party with a tin full of them for our family.  For me, it's just not Christmas without some of these cookies.  This year, though, I almost skipped them.

We often have a snowy Sunday with canceled church when we stay in and bake and decorate with the kids.  That never happened this December.  For some reason, I just didn't get around to making them early in the month, and the recipe makes so many that you have to give some away.  I'd already distributed goodies to our friends and neighbors and had a kitchen counter full of treats from them. Baking a giant pile of cookies and then loading them with more sweet stuff just seemed like too much.

Yet...it just didn't feel like Christmas without a tray of cookies and bowls full of colored frosting and candy on the table surrounded by the family.  So, on Christmas Eve day I settled in with the kids while Damon finished his shopping (truly) and baked a half-batch of Aunt Donna's sugar cookies.  That didn't seem so overwhelming, and the kids and I had a great time decorating (and eating) these fluffy, yummy cookies.

 
 
 

1 comment:

Marisa said...

I LOVE Aunt Donna's sugar cookies! You can always send extras to my house. I'll even come pick them up. :)