Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Mosier Tunnel Bike Ride

A few Saturdays ago I took Adah and Maggie on their first real bike ride.  We live in a neighborhood with no sidewalks and our house is at a T intersection one house away from a semi-busy street, meaning there are lots of turning cars coming and going on our street. Combine that with having two younger siblings and you get two good bike riders who don't have much opportunity for safe bicycling near our house.  We usually have to load up the bikes in the back of the truck and drive to our church parking lot in order to give the kids some good, safe bike-riding time.

Saturday afternoon Damon stayed home with Gunnar and Holly and the girls and I put our bikes in the back of the truck and headed east through the Gorge to the tiny town of Mosier.  There's a fantastic paved trail that climbs up to go along parallel to the Columbia River, and then it goes through two tunnels. I think the whole thing used to be the highway before the interstate was built.  I had only been there once before on a date with Damon where we had walked the path, but I was pretty excited to ride it with Adah and Maggie.
My hopes for an excellent ride were looking a bit dim shortly after we began.  It was a little steep at first, and Adah was saying she was already getting tired.  Mags was having real trouble with her shoes. The straps kept coming undone about every 5 yards and she'd have to stop to fix them.  Eventually I tried to secure them with the only thing in my backpack that seemed promising: Band-Aids from the first aid kit.
 
The Band-Aids didn't solve the problem, as I'd hoped, but it did keep the straps a little more secure.
With all of the stop-and-start caused by the shoe trouble and both girls struggling with the hill, I readjusted my expectations for the ride. Once you crest the hill you can leave the main path to go to a look-out for an awesome view up and down the Columbia Gorge. I decided that that would be our goal, and not the tunnels.  However, as we turned off the main path for the lookout, I could see that the tunnels weren't much further and that at least going to look at them would be realistic. Whether or not we would ride through them would be another matter, since they go downhill and returning to the car would require an uphill climb that I wasn't sure the girls could handle.
First, though, to the look-out.  (Fortunately there were some other bicyclists there to take a picture of the three of us; they were riding a tandem bike.)

The views of the river and Gorge were awesome.  It was a beautiful day and I was, once again, so grateful to live in such a gorgeous place.  (Adah was happy to be munching on her Saltines; she loves those crackers.)
 
Looking east:

Looking west:
 
We did decide to ride through the tunnels. The girls were so excited once they saw them.  There are two, and the second one immediately follows the first, but is constructed differently.  The photo below is looking down the second tunnel. Way at the bottom is one of the girls on her bike. You can look out on the river (through trees) to the right.
 
We turned around after going through the second tunnel.  There was a short downhill stretch before the path started to climb back up.  I instructed the girls to get up as much speed as they could and to just keep going. They actually did really well.  Adah kept on chugging and made it through both tunnels in great time.  Maggie chose to stop at the break between the two tunnels, which meant I could get this fun shot of her: (Isn't the tunnel cool? It looks like you're inside a giant barrel.)
 
And there's her silhouette at the mouth of the east end of the tunnel:
 
I was so proud of the girls for making it back through the tunnels. Once we got through there it was a short way to the crest of the hill and then it was all downhill from there.  They LOVED that part of it. We got going pretty fast and it was such a great reward of ease and speed after all the pedaling. I realized later that it was really the first time they'd ridden their bikes down a real hill!  That sounds so sad, but, as I explained, we do most of our bike riding in our church parking lot.  We definitely need to do more bike rides like this. Gunnar will even be able to join us pretty soon. He learned to ride a two-wheeler at the beginning of April.  Hooray for bike rides!

2 comments:

Marisa said...

What a fun day! I'm curious why you started on the Mosier side. If you start from the HR side, it goes uphill initially, and downhill to the tunnels, but there's a nice flat stretch in between.

Of course, I've only walked it, so maybe I don't notice the changes in incline as much that way. And I've never walked all the way to Mosier, so I don't know what that end of the trail is like.

Jillaire said...

I only really know it from the Mosier side. I'd only been there once before when Damon took me to that look-out and brought the camp stove and we cooked dinner and watched a movie under the stars. Great date. Anyway, I don't really know where it comes out in HR. Plus, no tunnels on that end, right? The tunnels are the cool part, but I'd like to see the other end of the trail too, of course.