(The kids were all in their jammies already and Holly was in bed.)
Here's my photo, with Gunnar included for scale: This is our rhubarb plant. We've had it for 4 years now (I think--maybe it's only 3), and this is the first time it has flowered. Damon finally pulled them out since people told us the plant would stop producing, but first we wanted to see what they'd look like. They were just tiny white flowers, but they grew in clusters. And, they were TALL! I think they were about 6 feet tall when Damon pulled them. Amazing.
Damon's photo of the new grass: He decided to re-seed the front lawn this spring. After thatching the old lawn, bringing in new top soil, spreading seed and fertilizer, and waiting . . . we had this thin, but strong-looking grass coming in. It's really filling in now. Hopefully Damon will let us step on it soon. : )
Maggie's photo of blueberry blossoms: These will turn into berries in about two more months!
Adah's photo of one of our birdhouses: The evening light didn't cooperate well and I don't think the camera flashed, so the photo was blurry. This is a little corner of the yard where we have a holly tree (bush?) and the kids like to create little "bird cities" there with different houses and other paraphernalia.
Gunnar's hole: I'm not sure when, but sometime in the spring Gunnar was playing in the backyard and just decided to dig a hole. His sisters helped, but only a little. It was mostly Gunnar. Part of me wanted to stop him--a big hole in the middle of the play area isn't exactly safe--but Damon and I both kind of wanted to see how big it would get. When Gunnar gets in it, he's in up to his waist! It's pretty deep.
Here's Gunnar, posing with the shovel that did almost all of the digging: (Pajamas and flip-flops were not his usual excavation attire.)
And, Adah requested this final photo of her swinging (or preparing to swing--the swing picture was fuzzy) on a rope under the play structure:
We have a great yard, and I'm grateful it's a fun place for the kids to play, as well as a place that helps feed us in the summer.







No comments:
Post a Comment