Thursday, February 28, 2013

Braden's Birthday and Other Important Things

Our nephew Braden turned three a week before Christmas. We had a blast at his super-hero birthday party.

The helium balloons were an especially big hit. Damon's brother and his wife had purchased a kit that comes with its own small tank of helium. The kiddos loved hearing their dad and uncle with those high-pitched helium voices. I loved that the balloons--or at least fascination with them--were so prominent in all the party photos that my sister-in-law took:
 
 

The other big attraction at the party was our brand-new niece Kara.* She was four weeks old and this was the first time we got to meet her since for at least half of the first month of her life we had colds that we were trying to keep to ourselves.

Maggie loves holding Baby Kara. She's a natural, and it reminded me of when she would hold Holly for me. Mags was only 5 when Holly was born, but maintained a very calm presence at those times when I would ask her to sit on the couch and hold a hungry, crying baby so I could quickly run to the bathroom or help Gunnar or whatever it was that was keeping me from feeding her right that minute. I'd come back in the room, where Holly was screaming frantically, and expect to see Maggie also in tears or at least anxious to hand off her sister. She'd be calmly sitting there, cool as a cucumber, totally unfazed. I think Aunt Dana will be so excited when this girl is old enough to babysit--although Kara won't be a baby by then.

Holly also wanted a turn. Immediately after Kara got into her arms, Holly said, "Baby like me."

I also took my turn--a few times. Now that my baby is 2 1/2, it's such a nostalgic pleasure to hold another tiny one. Here are three generations of McMillan women (Damon's mom, Kara, and me):

Even if only one of us was born a McMillan, we're family and I'm glad to be. These are those "other important things" that make me glad to be here in the Bay Area. We're living closer to family than we ever have in our marriage, and it's a pleasure to share birthdays, holidays, and new babies.

*We also have a niece named Kiera, who is my brother's daughter and also lives nearby. We've already been confusing them!

No comments: