Monday, February 25, 2013

This Month Is Such a Special One

November is birthday month in the McMillan-Wangsgard family. Damon's dad, Jillaire, Damon's brother, Damon, and Jillaire's sister-in-law (in that order) all have birthdays during November. Now that we're in California, we were lucky enough to do some celebrating with all of the McMillans this year.

Damon's parents were still twiddling their thumbs waiting for their new house to pass inspection before they could move, so we invited them to come visit for the weekend of Grandpa's birthday, which was also the Primary (children's Sunday School) program at church. On Saturday we all visited the San Jose Flea Market and then Grandma and Grandpa had take-out Thai with the children while Damon and I headed out for a date.

On Sunday, after church (where Adah and Maggie played a piano-violin duet), we had a birthday lunch, complete with a GIANT Costco cheesecake. Yum!!

We didn't have 69 candles in the house, but Damon and the kids got around that by using our "6" candle and 9 singletons.

Grandpa politely shielded the cake from any germs. : )

A week later, it was my birthday! It was pretty much a normal Monday of running children to and from school and doing laundry, but I don't mind that as long as I can end the day with my triple-layer Darn Good Chocolate Cake with my Mom's Killer Chocolate Frosting. Oh yes, it's as good as it sounds.

Maggie was in charge of embellishments. She used a heart-shaped cookie cutter as a stencil for pink and yellow sugar sprinkles. The extra candles (other than the 34) were merely decorative.

We had to do our Happy Birthday-ing and candle blowing in Adah's bedroom. Poor girl was not feeling well at all and had gone to bed with a cold and no appetite for cake. : (
 

Her bedroom also provided the perfect venue for Damon to give me my gift. He had hidden it behind Adah's sliding closet doors and gave me the choice between Door #1 and Door #2. Since he had already asked me if I "would be mad" if he got me a wireless printer for my birthday, I was quite surprised to find a new set of pots and pans (which I really wanted) behind Door #1. I figured that the printer must be behind Door #2. When I opened up to find a BANANA, I was very pleased (and relieved) by my original choice.

The results of that little birthday gift game show made it very easy to choose Damon's birthday gift: a wireless printer!! His birthday, which is 8 days after mine, happened to fall on the day after Cyber Monday, so I waited for the good sales and ordered it then, meaning he didn't get it in time for his actual birthday. 

This is the only photo I got to document his day. It's not a good one at all. The funny thing about it, though, is that he didn't even notice that I'd hung up the banner after he'd gone to bed the night before so it would be there to greet him at breakfast time. Damon takes a pretty low-key view of his birthday--lucky for me.

And, just because the only photo I got of the birthday boy was a lousy one, here's a bonus shot of him, along with Holly, sleeping on the couch after church. I'm really not sure who fell asleep first. I do know that he had come home from after-church duties and cuddled up on the couch with his little girl. What happened next was inevitable.
 

No comments: