Monday, August 5, 2013

Our Little Lady(bug) Turns Three

This fuzzy little girl turned THREE at the end of May!

Her birthday was on a Saturday, so everyone was in their jammies for opening a few pre-party presents. In fact, they stayed in their PJs until after lunch. Knowing that they'd be putting on swimming suits for the party, I just couldn't convince them to get dressed any sooner.

Holly LOVES Hello Kitty. This is a MegaBlocks (like Legos) Hello Kitty schoolhouse that we gave her. It was a big hit.

. . . as were the other fun things she got later at her pool party. Her Wangsgard cousins & uncle and her preschool friends' family came to our neighborhood pool for swimming, hot dogs, corn on the cob, watermelon, and birthday cake. I was apparently too busy swimming to take any pictures of the pool or any of the party-goers.

Well, here's one of Holly's buddy Danielle watching the gift-opening. Here Holly was opening an Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked DVD from Grandma and Grandpa. That movie got such serious playtime in the weeks following her birthday that at one point I had to ban it until July! The kids all love it.

Holly loves ladybugs, so I made her a ladybug cake. (If I remember correctly) I baked three 8-inch rounds and used two layers for the body. Then I cut the third cake in half and trimmed it to make the 2-layer head. I found chocolate-dipped Oreos for the spots and covered the head with crushed Oreo crumbs. Marshmallow-and-mini-chocolate-chip eyes & straw antennae finished the job.

Oh, and the frosting was a regular buttercream that I colored with a little food coloring and strawberry freezer jam. So, the cake was chocolate with a strawberry frosting. Yum! And, it was the perfect combination of three things Holly loves: chocolate, ladybugs, and pink.

The birthday girl blew out all her candles, & we all had a wonderful time celebrating our little Holly.
 

1 comment:

Marisa said...

Adorable cake! Happy birthday Holly!