Sure, my kids fight like most siblings. Sometimes it does feel like they do it more than not. But, then we have those golden moments when everyone is happily getting along. It often happens on Sundays, when we've been to church together and then avoided most types of screen time for the rest of the day. I should take note of that correlation more often.
One such Sunday this summer, the kids concocted a sleepover plan. They pushed together Holly's and Gunnar's little toddler beds and declared that ALL of them would be sleeping there together for the night. They proceeded to get in their jammies and have story time. Here, Gunnar is looking at Tails, Maggie is reading What's My Lunch to Holly, and Adah is writing in her journal.
I can't remember exactly what the course of events was following this moment, but I do know that the sleepover never happened. It was a warm night and really, Adah and Maggie are too tall for those beds. Damon and I knew it wasn't meant to be, but we let them keep it up as long as they could. The thought was sweet, at least. (It's even possible that they still had a sleepover together with some kids on the floor. I just can't remember.)
One of the fun parts of summer is that the kids can do things like this since bedtime rules can be a little more lax when it's not a school night.
Another fun part of summer: ice cream cones!! Last summer (2011) the local Hi-School Pharmacy added an outdoor ice cream counter. With about a half dozen flavors, low prices, and picnic tables out front, all within walking distance of our house, this was a simple way to get smiles from my kiddos on a summer afternoon. (Holly really did love her rainbow sherbet, even though she appears to be pouting in this photo.) I think Maggie was the only one who went for chocolate. That's my girl.
One such Sunday this summer, the kids concocted a sleepover plan. They pushed together Holly's and Gunnar's little toddler beds and declared that ALL of them would be sleeping there together for the night. They proceeded to get in their jammies and have story time. Here, Gunnar is looking at Tails, Maggie is reading What's My Lunch to Holly, and Adah is writing in her journal.
I can't remember exactly what the course of events was following this moment, but I do know that the sleepover never happened. It was a warm night and really, Adah and Maggie are too tall for those beds. Damon and I knew it wasn't meant to be, but we let them keep it up as long as they could. The thought was sweet, at least. (It's even possible that they still had a sleepover together with some kids on the floor. I just can't remember.)
One of the fun parts of summer is that the kids can do things like this since bedtime rules can be a little more lax when it's not a school night.
Another fun part of summer: ice cream cones!! Last summer (2011) the local Hi-School Pharmacy added an outdoor ice cream counter. With about a half dozen flavors, low prices, and picnic tables out front, all within walking distance of our house, this was a simple way to get smiles from my kiddos on a summer afternoon. (Holly really did love her rainbow sherbet, even though she appears to be pouting in this photo.) I think Maggie was the only one who went for chocolate. That's my girl.


No comments:
Post a Comment