Monday, October 8, 2012

ZUCCHINI !!!

We grew zucchini every summer in White Salmon. Since I moved to California last month, I actually had to buy some zucchini. (Gasp!) I don't think I've done that for at least seven years. Truly. Once you've faced the July (and August and September) onslaught of these ever-producing squash, you're good for the rest of the year. You don't need to buy any imported zucchini at the supermarket in the off-season. 
Still, I welcome the onslaught. I've always said that I like to plant just enough zucchini that I feel a little overwhelmed. (Usually that means 3 plants.) Otherwise it just doesn't feel like zucchini season. Because, really, what says summer more than leaving anonymous bags of zucchini on your neighbor's porch or shoving foot-long squash into the unsuspecting arms of anyone who walks through your door? Nothing.
For me, the arrival of zucchini season means chocolate zucchini cake with peanut butter frosting. Oh yes. I make it with some of the very first zucchini off the plant. Damon says it's the best cake that I make. It is moist and rich and oh-so-delicious. You have to eat it with a glass of milk.
We also love penne with courgettes. Courgette is the French word for zucchini, and it's the word the British use for it. I have an English cookbook that has a delicious recipe calling for shredded zucchini to be sauteed with garlic and then mixed with cooked penne, eggs (that have been scrambled and then cook in the hot pasta), parmesan cheese, and fresh basil. Because we got the recipe in England, we feel bound to call our zucchini "courgette" when we make this recipe.
Let us also remember grilled zucchini, sauteed zucchini, zucchini casserole, zucchini bread, and zucchini waffles! Yes, folks. Throw some shredded zucchini in your waffle batter next time. You can reduce the liquid, and add a little cinnamon, too. I invented that one all by myself. Delicious.
We left behind our garden while it was still producing zucchini. I hope the neighbors have been picking it, as we told them they could. Otherwise I'm sure there are zucchini hiding under some leaves that are as big as pumpkins! 
Here's Holly! She finally got the zucchini in the right place.
And may I just say: Man those suckers got heavy! I had trouble keeping my grin. If I remember correctly, they weighed in at about 6 lbs. each!!


1 comment:

Marc and Liz Anson said...

Ah zucchini....we didn't plant any this year thinking we could just get the 'extras' from neighbors but alas it didn't happen. :( sort of bummed. BUT we did have an influx of honeydew this year that came all at the same time. It was so strange but we were literally picking at least 6 honeydew a week for a month or more. We gladly pawned some off to neighbors until I learned you could dehydrate it, go figure! Once it's dehydrated it tastes like candy - seriously.

I will be doing a post about the accident when all is said and done with our van. Right now it is in the shop being repaired. So keep tuned ;)